Sunday, June 22, 2008

What I wouldn't give for a glass of OJ

One of the leftovers from the desperate days of attempting to make money as a stay-at-home mom is my occasional excursions into product testing. I've tested spaghetti sauce, shampoo and conditioner, and some kind of sun creme for hair. I even tested antiperspirant once...that was a nightmare...just what you want to do when you find that you absolutely HATE a type of antiperspirant (this particular one I hated because it was unbearably slimy) is to continue to use it exclusively for the next two weeks. But I loved the shampoo so much that I switched away from my usual brand permanently...at least I think I switched to the right brand...you can't know for certain because they won't tell you the brand that you're testing.

For the next two weeks I've engaged our family in the "OJ Challenge" where for $15 and three bottles of free apple juice, we've agreed to switch from OJ to AJ, keep a journal of our thoughts while drinking it, and even submit a few photos of us enjoying the product. But it's really, really hot. I don't so much like apple juice. I don't find the sweet taste as thirst quenching as something with a little acidity to it. And I'm one of those who would rather die of dehydration than drink water. Justin doesn't mind drinking apple juice...to him juice is juice...but I find myself wanting lemonade or pomegranate juice or even a Capri Sun (yeah, tried that, it was no good either)...anything but having to drink more apple juice. I'm giving the "challenge" a fair shake since I technically only have to substitute AJ for OJ, but I'm having lemonade for dinner and I feel like I deserve every cent of that $15. I think I'm going to put THAT in my journal!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I'm not sure I could do that. Apple juice, although fairly standard when it comes to juice, is fairly low on my list. If standard juices are all you've got I'll take orange or grape over apple anyday. But if I've got a range, I'm all about the more exotic varities. For instance, white grape and cherry or cran-raspberry. There is this blueberry and something else drink that is to die for (I'm a blueberry fan). Just straight up apple juice not mixed in with sprite or anything would be pretty hard for me. My kids drink it often (though theirs is still somewhat diluted with water often).