I just logged onto the County of Los Angeles Public Library website and found that I had an overdue book. This would not be such a big deal if I hadn't, just last week, found that I had 14 overdue books each 5 days late for a whopping overuse fee of $17.50. Twenty-five cents sounds like a reasonable fee unless you're late with a set of children's picture books which you check out a dozen at a time.
When I went to pay the fine we bravely checked out another set of books with new resolve to never make such a costly mistake again. As he was reading the new books, Justin told me that I had made a mistake and forgot to return one of the old books to the library. I assured him that I had carefully counted the books that I returned, and I must have just checked out one that we had had before. Several nights later he told me the same thing again, and again I dismissed it.
Tonight I logged onto the website to renew some other books, and sure enough there's another $3.75 charge for the exact book that Justin has been telling me I needed to return to the library. Shucks! I thought getting books from the library was a great deal, but counting the one that somehow ended up in the bathroom sink with the water running last year, we've actually paid quite a bit for the privilege of "free" reading.
And if I put 14 books into the book drop, which book of ours does the library now own?
Thursday, October 2, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment