I spend nearly 1/3 of my waking hours at church. Sadly, my goal is to attend service 50% of the time and I'm even failing at that. When I don't know about things going on there it's usually been announced in the service or put in the worship folder which I never hear and never get, so I often feel like I'm the last to know things even though I work there. It's become a joke in staff meetings...Oh you didn't know about that? That's right, you don't attend here.
I really felt the longing over Christmas. We were in Seattle and attended church with my brother and sister-in-law. Their church is not exactly my style, but as we were waiting for the service to begin it hit me...I had NO RESPONSIBILITIES! I didn't have a pager in case of emergency. If a child was crying or a teacher didn't come or a toilet overflowed, someone else would take care of it. I didn't need to mentally run through my "To Do" list to make sure that I had told the two year old teacher that so-and-so was in big girl panties today and that all the parts of the craft were on the counters. I wasn't noticing which parents were in the service with me and what that meant about classroom dynamics. I didn't even have to worry whether Justin was obeying his teachers. I just got to worship.
And I did.
And it filled a need.
I don't have an answer to the dilemma. I love my job and it is what it is. My job is about being fully staffed on Friday afternoon when I leave the office and getting two (or six) calls Saturday night with people who aren't coming as scheduled. My job is about a class of six babies requiring six volunteers because each is demanding an individual set of arms because they can't sleep in a strange place. My job is about encouraging parents that they need to go to church and get their own spiritual needs met and promising that I will personally check on their child and page them if their child needs them. I love that I can provide for others the experience of going to church and knowing that their children are safe and happy and loved. But I miss that experience myself.
So for now I just try to carve out as many of those times as I can (it's usually at 8:00a with the AARP crowd in the balcony with Justin and a coloring book), and appreciate, maybe more than most, the opportunity to join with my "family" and worship our God together.
Thursday, January 8, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
brings me to tears really. your sacrifice...for others in the same boat as you. you are good at your job and i pray that soon, it will change. i'm not sure how, but that it will.
viagra prices try viagra for free side effects of viagra viagra suppliers in the uk buy viagra on line bought viagra fuerteventura viagra price viagra rx india viagra cialis vicodin free sample prescription for viagra viagra canada cheap cheap viagra free sample viagra free sample pack of viagra
Post a Comment