Friday, May 16, 2008

Facebook

I have joined the crowd and started a Facebook profile. I originally did it just because I wanted to find people and look at their stuff anonymously, but since that wasn't an option I've enjoyed watching it as a cultural phenomenon. Here are my observations:
  • The term "friend" takes on a whole new (and less significant) meaning. You pretty much invite everyone you've ever met to be your "friend." And in return you suddenly you start getting requests from all these people you hardly know who are wanting to be your "friend" as well. I think the point is to collect as many "friends" as possible so as to impress those around you with your popularity. (No offence to any of my new "friends.")

  • Your life is then characterized by one sentence phrases beginning with "Polly is..." It leaves me wanting more. Why does my brother want a PDA? Which one does he want? Why did he suddenly write that he likes Mtn. Dew? He has for decades, why announce it to the world now? It creates more questions than answers.

  • I wonder how many hours of productivity are lost to businesses whose employees are spending their time sending each other virtual flowers or karate chops. I tried to send something yesterday for someone's birthday but I couldn't figure it out.

  • Does anyone really care about my favorite everythings? Which TV Friends character I most resemble? Whether a survey says I'm likable? If they did care, wouldn't they already know?

I'm not criticizing those who use it... it's entertaining and you can see at a glance a one sentence summary about what all your "friends" are up to. If you had a lot of time in front of a computer terminal you might need it to stay connected with the outside world. Maybe it's an extrovert thing. I think I'll always be a dabbler rather than a junkie.

I am, if nothing else, a wee bit competitive. so if you are on Facebook, can we be friends?! ;)

4 comments:

natalie said...

wow...i haven't even joined that crowd yet. but even though you tried to deter me...it seems kind of intriguing.

Kelsey said...

Don't you think it's more of an INTROVERT thing? For people who don't want to talk to others in person, you can have whole relationships and interactions without ever talking to a person. You might forget what your friends look like, but at least you know what they're doing every day. ;)

Heidi said...

Glad to be confirmed as your friend!=0) Seriously, it gets addicting...have you tried playing Scramble yet? Or giving flare? That's what sucked me in!=0)

Anonymous said...

I have resisted the urge to join the Facebook party, even though everyone else in town seems to be part of it, and their animals (my sister's cat and my friend's dog to be specific). My mother spends hours playing a version of Scrabble or something. Have fun. My sister is on there and I'm sure she'd be your friend!