Last night the power company turned our electricity off for more than 12 hours. They gave us warning and we were well aware that it was coming, I guess I just hadn't fully realized exactly how much that would disrupt my world.
First, I thought that I would be very clever. I charged up the laptop thinking that I could spend the evening doing the usual things, just in the dark. That was all well and good until I remembered that the wireless router required electricity.
I read to Justin as usual while he held the flashlight. We're in the middle of Stuart Little so he would light up the one small picture and I would try to figure out what the words were in the dim outer circle of the flashlight.
I took a bath by candlelight, didn't dry my hair, and used Justin's head mounted flashlight to read for a little while before giving up and going to bed.
I don't know how past generations did it. Everything I tried to do, either I didn't have enough light (candles and flashlights are less effective than I imagined) or required electricity. I used to think I belonged in the past generations with the hard work, clear expectations, and big skirts. Now I know I wouldn't last a day.
Sunday, May 4, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
good observations about the electricity. AND nice new pictures of you and J....do we get one.
I'm with you!! It is HARD to do anything without electricity. I remember when ours went out one time...the boys kept asking to do different things and everytime I had to explain it wouldn't work without power...yeah for living in modern time!!=0)
That happened to us once with water! It's almost as bad, if not worse. Can't imagine how many times you can turn the water faucet on when you know the whole house is turned off!
Oh, my.
Post a Comment