Teachers' kids, pastors' kids...they're always the worst, right? And with my job, Justin's sort of in between the two. Imagine my horror over the scene this morning.
The 8:00 hour is not well attended. I am "the" nursery worker and I generally have one child. Because it's just the two of us, occasionally I'll take my one baby and wander around to grab things or do little details that need to be done. Lately Justin has been the only preschooler meaning that he had two teachers who are there just for him.
I happened to be on one of my walks with the one nursery child, and as we walk past Justin's room I observe him fly out of his classroom door brandishing a long metal rod he has removed from the filing cabinet and race through two other (empty) classrooms with his two teachers trailing behind telling him he needs to come back to the classroom.
I try to rarely intervene with him when other people are in charge, but I marched in there and in my sternest Mommy voice said, "Justin, there will be a serious consequence at home for disobeying your teachers." The teacher retrieved the weapon and everyone returned to the classroom.
When he got home, Justin sat for ten minutes on the stairs, wrote a note of apology to his teacher, and was told in no uncertain terms that if I ever saw him disobey his teachers like that I would take whatever his favorite toy was at the time and he wouldn't get it back until the following Sunday after I got a better report.
The irony was not lost on me that today's Sunday school lesson was on the choice Adam and Eve made to disobey God in the garden and how God wants us to choose to obey. It was only first hour...maybe after hearing it the second and third time it sunk in a little better.
Oh dear. He does keep me humble!
Sunday, July 6, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
P.S. I was praying with Justin tonight that God would help him choose to obey those in authority over him. As soon as I said amen he said, "Charlotte and I woke Bobby up by hitting him in the head with a hammer." I guess it was too late for obedience at that point since it had already happened, at least God was prompting his heart to confession!
polly, i'm sorry for laughing, but i just have to. i can laugh because this is so normal, and because i know that justin will grow up to be a kind, non-sadistic human being. (;
Post a Comment