Warning: This post is very braggy about my brilliant and talented son. I figure I'm entitled since the last two have been less than positive about his behavior. Reader discretion is advised.
I hate it when I'm the last to know something. In this case I had an inkling every once and awhile but had never tested my theory. But today I found out for sure...Justin is learning to read.
We've been doing the library summer reading club for the second year. It's always staffed by teenagers who would rather chat with each other than be bothered by small children with reading charts. It should've been a clue the first day when they were explaining how it all worked and they turned to me and said, "Oh, and you can read to him too." Too? It never fails that we go in with his chart and book list, and they hand the list to him to look over and say, "Which was your favorite?" Um, you do know that he doesn't know how to read, don't you? After a couple of times of this I wrote in big letters under grade PRE-K thinking maybe his height was throwing them off, but it hasn't helped. One especially ambitious volunteer asked him "Would you recommend this book to a friend?" Thankfully it was a yes or no question and he guessed correctly that yes was the answer she was looking for. Can't you just see Justin and Timmy on the tire swing saying, "You know Tim, I read a great book this week called Timothy Cox Will Not Change His Socks. I really think you'd like it"
But anyway, as we're reading I've been modeling sounding out simple words or asking him to find a certain word on a page, and he mostly is compliant and acts as if he understands the concept. He's able to recognize a lot of brands and store names but I think that's more from the style of lettering than actually reading. But tonight I decided to test him. I told him I would give him a point for every word he could read (competitive? nah!) as I wrote it on the MagnaDoodle and he got 15 points before he decided he'd rather do the writing and the game ended. I started with easy ones like Justin, Mommy, and CAT. When he started getting them right I thought I'd mix it up a little and he knew words like duck and jump too. He was able to get most things that were short and could be sounded out. I was just a little bit astounded!
We have 13 months until he starts kindergarten officially but this lets me know (again) that he's been paying attention and I'd better be on my toes. No more asking Grandma if we have any C-A-N-D-Y and expecting him to be clueless!
Sunday, July 27, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
brilliant. i LOVE justin!
Phenomenal! I seem to recall him being a fairly ahead of the game. After all, one of the first times I met him he was coming to a rendezvous. Hats off to the fabulous team of Smart Kid and Good Mommy.
1. I love the summer reading club...my sister is an employee of the library, so if you ever see her, she'll be happy to help you!
2. Hurray for learning to read! I loved that story-good job Justin and Mom!
Post a Comment