When I'm feeling unloved, the quickest way out of that pit is to find someone in need of love and do something to show love to them. I have yet to find a time that behaving lovingly didn't work to stop those "nobody loves me" blues, but when depressed it can be tough to look outside myself and work up the energy to reach out. God often uses other people to show his love, and I need to make sure that I'm a part of that to the people around me.
I try to identify the love languages of the people around me, then make a greater effort to love them in that way. I also try to recognize times when they're expressing love toward me in their own language and appreciate it, even though it's not my own primary love language. I'm working through this with Justin (recently 4yrs) whose primary language seems to be physical touch. Bumping into me as he walks by is not a loving gesture in my mind, but for him it's connecting with me and loving me. There are certainly limitations to what I will allow, but recognizing that he's loving me with that bump makes me less annoyed and less likely to reject his offering just because it's not the way I would have chosen to be loved. I receive love most easily through quality time, which is really tough since people (and me) are so busy. Rather than feeling like no one loves me because I haven't spent time with them, I need to appreciate the hugs, notes, little gifts, and acts of service that people are frequently loving me with.
I need to do the same with God. Just because I don't FEEL loved by him, doesn't change the fact that he loves me. Sadly, the "quality time" that would make me feel loved is completely up to me, and therefore it's often my own fault if I'm feeling unloved. I also need to stop chasing the "feeling" and settle into the knowledge that I am loved whether I feel it or not.
I heard Sheila Walsh speak at this year's Women of Faith conference and I bought her book "God has a Dream for Your Life." In it she talks about when God was freeing the Hebrews from Egypt and he sent the Angel of Death to kill the firstborn sons in each household. The only way to be spared was to paint the doorpost with blood. Then she reminds the reader that the Angel never knocked on the door to find out what sins the people inside had committed that day or what type of people they were... the blood was enough. When God looks at me, he doesn't see the mistakes I've made or the ways I've failed, he only sees Jesus' blood and I'm accepted and loved based on that. For me, shame is one of the biggest obstacles toward intimacy with God, but when he looks at me he doesn't see any of it. I've known that story since I was tiny, but only now do I recognize it as a picture of my own salvation. It's awesome!
The year since I set this as my goal has been a really tough one, excruciating at points, but rather then wallow or lash out I've come to terms with the fact that no matter what I've been through or what I've done God has never stopped loving me... I just didn't always recognize it.
I think that's enough learned for one year!

3 comments:
thanks for sharing. convicting and sobering. good words, as i too struggle in this way. here's to a new year, with new goals and growing deeper in our understanding of God's love.
wow polly. beautiful. thank you for sharing this. love the thought about the blood on the doorpost being enough, and the angel not having to stop and ask what sins have been committed...
about the bike riding...no, there is no magic technique that you are missing. it's just plain hilly everywhere. i don't think i could take my kids on my rides around the heights. what we used to do is throw the bike in the back of the car and drive to a park with paved bike paths. there is a great park in hacienda heights that has a circular path. i forget what street it's on...but it's really close to you. next time i'm over there, i'll see if i can find it and write down the directions for you.
Post a Comment