I have an aversion to the telephone. Part of it is being introverted, I know, but part of it is having a small child and the "phone behavior" that goes along with it.
This afternoon I was trying to conduct some business with one of these places that has the "...if you'd like to find out your account balance, say or press one." A noisy four year old can seriously disrupt any progress on these types of calls because when they make noise the system comes back with, "that's not a valid choice. If you'd like to..." and you have to start all over again.
So this afternoon I actually got through that part of the process and was on hold (for 30 minutes, but who's counting). As I was twiddling my thumbs I became aware of a muffled thumping noise that I identified as coming from my son. A few more moments of listening and I identified the source of the thumping as him riding his pool kickboard down the stairs from the 2nd story landing. I did some quick velocity vs distance calculations, asked him if he was sitting or standing (he was sitting), and decided that any injury would likely be fairly minor. Some days you pick your battles.
And this is why I email.
Tuesday, April 29, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
good for you for letting him do it! it's a fine balance between letting them explore and not letting them kill themselves....
great writing, polly. and i have an aversion to the phone too!
I LOVE that story!
Post a Comment