Saturday, January 26, 2008

May I take your order?

Justin has always had a fascination with the head gear worn by drive-thru employees, even simulating it with a piece of tape stuck from ear to chin. So when he was at Toys R Us with a Christmas gift card and found a McDonalds play set complete with the head set, visor, cash register, and play food, I let him get it. He has played with it for 48 hours straight. If I have to hear, "Welcome to McDonalds, may I take your order?" even one more time, I think I'm going to scream. There's a limit to the number of times in one day that you can order a plastic cheeseburger (with or without pickles), fries, drink, and sundae. I honestly think that just ordering the food that many times has cause me to gain a couple of pounds. And he's not fooled by saying that you just finished your food and you don't need anymore right now...nope, he says, "I'm pretending it's a different day." You'd think these would be the times when personified stuffed animals would come in handy. "Nope," he says, "they're not hungry." How come it doesn't get to be a different day for them?

I did draw the line for my own sanity, but lest you think me no fun, we did go thru the drive thru for lunch, they did say (word for word) "Welcome to McDonalds, may I take your order?" and we did carefully rinse and preserve the containers from our food to expand the menu selection available at the living room McDonalds. But I'd like him to set his career aspirations just a tiny bit higher.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are a good mom...rinsing the containers to add to the collection-very cute. I'm impressed.
Jessica Fletcher

natalie said...

haylee (adam and emily's daughter) got the target brand for christmas...isaiah played with it more than she did. and when she left it was quite tramatic. oh if they could get together. then they could stuff each other silly and we could sit and talk!

julie martin said...

great story. great writing.